8th Tennessee Infantry Regiment
A Short History
The following information was gleaned from Tennesseans in The Civil War, published by the CIVIL WAR CENTENNIAL COMMISSION, Nashville, Tennessee, 1964. Samuel McCollister (McAlister) served in the 8th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, Company C, "The Camargo Guards" as a private. On the 14th of May, 1861, the four Lincoln County companies of the Eighth Regiment left the depot at Fayetteville, to travel to Camp Harris, Franklin County, Tn. On the 17th, they were mustered into service by Col. D. R. Smythe. On the 24th of May, the Regiment was quartered at Camp Trousdale, in Sumner County. Regimental Officers were elected: Colonel Alfred S. Fulton, Fayetteville Lieutenant Colonel W. Lawson Moore, Mulberry Major W. H. Botts, Jackson County Adjutant Chris. C. McKinney, Petersburg Surgeon Dr. G. W. Gray, Carthage Assistant Surgeon Dr. G. B. Lester, Charity Quartermaster L. W. Oglesby, Overton County Commissary Al. Ewing, Nashville Chaplin David Tucker, Norris Creek Drum Major R. A. Cox, Jackson County The companies within the Regiment were: Jackson County, "Gainesboro Invincibles," Captain Gore, number of men, 99 Jackson County, "Celina Invincibles," Captain Armstrong, number of men, 80 Marshall County, "New Hope Volunteers," Captain Bryant, number of men, 98 Lincoln County, "Camargo Guards," Captain McKinney, number of men, 100 Lincoln County, "Norris Creek Guards," Captain Higgins number of men, 78 Lincoln County, "Mulberry Riflemen," Captain Moore, number of men, 104 Lincoln County, "Petersburg Sharp-shooters," Captain Hall number of men, 78 Smith County, "Dixon Spring Guards," Captain Burford, number of men, 62 Overton County, "Overton Guards," Captain Miers, number of men, 99 Overton County, "Overton Blues,"Captain McHenry, number of men, 91 The regiment particpated in many campaigns, including Cheat Mountain, Port Royal, South Carolina, Corinth, Ms., Perryville, Ky., Murfreesboro, Tn., Nashville, Chickamauga, Atlanta. The Regiment was surrendered and paroled at Greensboro, NC., after the Battle of Nashville, December 15-26, 1864.